Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Walking all the days...

As many of you know, we sold both of our cars before we came out here. It has been quite the interesting experience going from 2 cars to no cars.

The reason why we decided not to keep our cars is because the location of our apartment in San Francisco isn't the most convenient place to have a car. There is parking below our apartment building but very rarely does a spot open up. Also, there are 40 apartments in our building yet only about 8 parking spaces. But even if a spot opens up it costs a whopping $300 a month just for a space. Sure there are parking garages about 4-5 block away but you would be paying $300-$500 a month. Some say, "just park on the street!" The problem with that is there are never spots on the street. So you end up driving around for 20 minutes just to park your car. Because of all of this hassle I really am glad that I don't have a car here.

Public transportation is another option in San Francisco, but I have found in my experience that it doesn't cut time down too much and it costs money. Sometimes it doesn't seem worth it to sit on a grimy bus.

So therefore, I walk wherever I go...
  • I get up and walk to work. Distance = 1 mile. Only takes about 20 minutes.
  • I walk home from work. Distance = 1 mile. This is a little harder because it is literally like climbing a mountain everyday to get home.
  • We walk to and from the grocery store. Distance = About 1.5 miles one way.
  • Walk to and from church. Distance = About 1 mile one way.
Literally, we walk everywhere we go. So I figured I am probably walking roughly 15-20 miles a week. Because of all of this walking, it is taking a serious toll on my body! I feel like my legs are breaking down from going straight up hills and straight down hills everyday.

With this being said, we found a great resource... ZIP CAR (www.zipcar.com)!!! You can pay for the car per hour or per day. Gas is included in the price and there are several different parking garages. The garage we use is right down the street, so we can just walk 2 minutes and pick up the car. We can finally go to the grocery store, pick out what we want (a gallon of milk), and not have to walk it home! It is so convenient. I am just very happy to have zip car in my life now. So thank you Zip Car from both me and my legs!





Lastly, thank you Dan for signing us up for Zip Car!

4 comments:

Lindsay Cahoon said...

I bet I know what would be better than Zip Car - What if one time you were walking home, carrying all your groceries, and two super-awesome people showed up in an almost broken down Civic to drive you the rest of the way home? Wouldn't that be great?

Lindsay Cahoon said...

PS I can't believe you posted a picture of your Zip Car's license plate number! Now some sicko stranger can track down which one you used and get your DNA out of it and do all sorts of creepy things. He's probably going to cross breed your DNA with a monkey or something. I'm just sayin'.

Lindsay Cahoon said...

PPS What are you going to make with all that sugar? I bet it will be something good.

Laura said...

Lindsay - you make me laugh so hard. I would have loved life so much if you came and rescued us from walking groceries home one day. All my hopes and dreams would have come true. Regarding PS: I think my DNA crossed with a monkey would be one hot monkey. Bring it on sicko stranger. Regrading PPS: I made some delicious snicker-doodle cookies with that sugar, thank you very much. Cheers